HVIT will be closing at the end of the day tomorrow (Friday, March 13, 2020) due to the rapidly spreading COVID-19 outbreak. We plan to be closed for three weeks. If we believe—based on New York State and CDC guidelines—that it is safe to re-open, we will do that on Sunday, April 5. However, it is much more likely that we will be closed until next year’s tennis season (October 2020). No one will be permitted on the premises during our closure.
We have been considering making this decision for seven to ten days. As those days have passed, it became increasingly clear to us that staying open was not in our members’ interest. As we stated in our email to all of you on Sunday, we have a particularly vulnerable core membership due to our demographics (players in their 60s and 70s are our two most significant age groups).
Many of you are part of pre-paid contract groups at the club. We will figure out how much each of you will need to be refunded (or credited toward next season, if you prefer). We will wait to do this until we make a final decision regarding whether we will be re-opening on April 5 or whether we will be closed for the entire final six weeks of our season.
We wish all of you the best of luck and good health during this difficult time.
Be well. Stay safe.
James and Matt